CS3000 Tech Tip: Installing a Calsense Decoder
February 28, 2018
As with any 2-wire decoder based system, good electrical connections are imperative. The following instructions will help ensure a successful Calsense 2-wire decoder installation.
Tools you will need:
- Wire cutters / strippers
- Yellow wire nuts
- Electrical tape or 4“ zip-type cable ties.
- 3M Scotchcast Connector Sealing Pack 3570G-N
Making the connections on the decoder:
- Make sure the 2-wire power is turned off! Failure to do this can cause damage to the controller.
- At the location of a decoder, use wire cutters to cut the Paige P7354D cable. Then use the wire strippers to score and snap the outer jacket exposing enough wire to work with.
- Use the wire strippers to remove approximately ¾” of the insulation off ALL of the 2-wire path, decoder, flow sensor, and/or solenoid leads.
- Twist the appropriate wire leads together using wire strippers and complete the connection with a yellow wire nut
- Once all the decoders are installed it is recommended, but not required, that you power up the controller and perform a decoder discovery. This will help find any connection issues before they are made permanent. If control valve decoder wires need to be extended, 14 gauge wires can be used up to 100’.
- It is also a good idea to locate and install the decoder grounds at this point. Install a 5/8” x 8’ copper ground rod in the required locations (at the controller, every 300’ where there are decoders, and at the last decoder on the end of a 2-wire path). Attach the ground rod directly to the decoder ground wire using grounding lug or cadweld. If the ground wire is to be extended, 12 gauge bare copper can be used.
- The final step is to make your connections permanent with 3M 3570G-N Scotchcast Connector Sealing Packs. Gently squeeze the pack at each end to combine resin and hardener. Mix until the color is consistent. Cut one end of the pouch and insert one connection into the pouch. Use a zip-type cable tie, or electrical tape, to tightly seal the pouch around the wires. Let the connection rest, cut end up, until the epoxy sets (see manufacturer’s instructions included with 3M connectors).
- Place a yellow wire nut on any unused wire and install it in a 3M 3570G-N Sealant connector as described in step 7. There shouldn’t be any “open” wires on the 2-wire path or any decoder.